Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School continues a tradition of Catholic education in South Hampton Roads that dates back to the middle of the nineteenth century. With the closure in the late 1940’s of two previous Catholic high schools in Norfolk, Holy Trinity and St. Joseph, Central Catholic High School was chartered. Bishop Peter Ireton opened the school as Norfolk Catholic High School in 1949, under the patronage of Saint Michael.
Granby Street location, Norfolk, 1950
The school thrived at its location on Granby Street and grew to an enrollment of over 800 students in the 1970’s. As the cities of South Hampton Roads grew and new parishes were established in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake over the next 30 years, Bishop Walter Sullivan approved a plan to move the school to a more central location in the Kempsville borough of Virginia Beach.
In the fall of 1993, the school opened as Catholic High School at its present 37-acre Princess Anne Road location. Ten years later, to honor the soon-to-retire bishop, the school’s name was changed again, to Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School.
Current location on Princess Anne Road, Virginia Beach - 2011
Whether Central Catholic, Norfolk Catholic, Catholic, or Bishop Sullivan Catholic, the school continues to provide a Christ centered academic program that prepares young people for success in college, and success in life as citizens, servants and leaders in their community.
|Colors||Silver, Green and Gold|
|Faculty||41 licensed professional staff
70% with advanced academic degrees
Student to teacher ratio: 11:1
|Sponsorship||Regional School of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond|
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS/CASI)
|Membership||Center for Academic Integrity|
|Athletics||Virginia Independent School Athletic Association (VISAA)
Tidewater Conference of Independent Schools (TCIS)