Athletic Training and Health
Catholic High School is committed to protecting their athletes at all times. To that end we have instituted programs that both help prepare student athletes for the rigors of competition and insure their safety while on the field/court.
Catholic High School is committed to protecting their athletes at all times. With concussions becoming such a high profile injury across all levels of athletic play, we have adopted a Concussion Management Plan that will be strictly enforced and managed by the Athletic Director and Sports Medicine Personnel employed by CHS. The school has included the following statement into the student handbook:
“With concussion and head injuries becoming so prominent in high school sports, Catholic High School has adopted a program to do everything possible to aid in the education, prevention and care of our athletes. As part of our athletic physical process, every athlete is required to take a baseline concussion test to set a baseline score. Also, each student-athlete and the student-athlete’s parent or guardian will review, on an annual basis, information discussing short and long term health effects of concussions. In addition, each student-athlete and the student-athlete’s parent or guardian will sign a statement acknowledging receipt of such information."
Trainer Injury Assessment
Concussions are a very serious medical issue and are treated as such by every coach. Our trainer will be available at all times to assess any head injury that occurs during practice or game times. A detailed process is followed as detailed in the Concussion Management Plan set forth by the school. This includes contacting the Athletic Trainer any time there is a suspected head injury whether during practice or game time. The trainer is always available on campus and during away games they can be reached by phone to help coaches determine a course of action.
Sentara Sports Medicine is proud of our partnership with Catholic High School to provide Athletic Training services to the Crusader Athletic Department. We are very excited to bring world-class care and service to such an exemplary community and successful athletic culture.
Sentara is Hampton Roads’ premier provider of Physical Therapy, Athletic Training and Sports Performance services. Our staff is led by a world-class team of multi-board-certified sports medicine physicians, physical therapists with advanced certifications, multi-faceted sports performance specialists and certified athletic trainers who can provide complete, customized care to meet your every need. We are conveniently located across the Hampton Roads region with 18 total facilities, three of which are in the Virginia Beach area.
The central Sentara Sports Medicine hub for CHS will be housed at 1080 First Colonial Road, Suite 305, Virginia Beach, VA 23454 OR 844 Kempsville Road, Suite 104, Norfolk, VA 23502. At either of these locations, CHS students will have access to the following:
Dr. Devesh Patel, MD
a. Dr. Patel is a board-certified physician specializing in Sports Medicine and is also Concussion certified.
findadoctor/meet-our- providers/devesh-patel,-md. aspx
For athletes requiring formal physical therapy, the primary locations in closest proximity to CHS will be:
1. Sentara Therapy Center – Princess Anne - Physical Therapists specializing in orthopedic, post-operative and sports rehab, with specialties including dry needling, vestibular rehab, aquatic therapy, spine therapy, blood flow restriction therapy, TPMJ therapy, and more.
- 1975 Glenn Mitchell Drive, Suite 101, Virginia Beach, VA 23456
2. Sentara Therapy Center Clinic – Sport & Spine - Physical Therapists specializing in orthopedics, agility & speed clinics, personal training, chiro, massage, and more.
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive, Suite 312, Virginia Beach, VA 23456
3. Sentara Therapy Center – Healthy Way - Physical Therapists specializing in orthopedic, post-operative and sports rehab, with specialties including dry needling, concussion therapy, vestibular rehab, pelvic floor therapy, nutrition information geared towards pelvic floor, comprehensive neurological rehabilitation, aquatic therapy, chiropractic geared more towards women’s health/pelvic floor, massage, and more.
828 Healthy Way, Suite 110 & 130, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
4. Sentara Therapy Center – Orthopedic & Sports Performance - Physical Therapists specializing in sports performance and return to sport, concussion program, manual therapy, blood flow restriction, comprehensive spine therapy, AlterG Treadmill, ACL Prevention Program, personal training for all ages, and more.
- 6201 E. Virginia Beach Blvd. Suite 110, Norfolk, VA 23502
- Phone: 757-624-0600
- Visit Site Here
Sports Performance, Nutrition, Fitness & Wellness
Sentara proudly offers extended nutrition services in the Hampton Roads area for both high school and college aged athletes. Athletes can schedule their nutrition consultations with Nicole Franqui MS, RD, CSSD, Sentara’s Sports Dietitian located at the Sentara Leigh Orthopedic & Sports Performance Center. The on-site location for all appointment needs is located at:
- 6201 E. Virginia Beach Blvd, Suite 110, Norfolk, VA 23502
- Phone: 757–624–0600, opt 3
The central Bon Secours In Motion hub for CHS will be housed at the Town Center location at 4677 Columbus Street, Suite 201, Virginia Beach, 23462. At this location, CHS students will have access to the following:
- Dr. Devesh Patel, MD, CAQSM, RMSK (Office is at 1080 First Colonial Road. Suite 305, Virginia Beach, VA 23454)
a. Dr. Patel is a board certified non-operative sports medicine physician. He specializes in the treatment of sports related injuries, musculoskeletal ultrasound, orthobiologic procedures, and sports concussion management.
findadoctor/meet-our- providers/devesh-patel,-md. aspx
- Physical Therapy
a. All of your rehab needs in one convenient location, specializing in orthopaedic, post-operative and sports rehab, with specialties including concussion management, dry needling, vestibular rehab, lymphedema therapy as well as others.
b. Free injury assessments led by In Motion Rehab Manager, Michael Pishioneri, PT, DPT, OCS, CSCS. Please call ahead to reserve your appointment at (757)-463-2540.
- Sports Performance, Nutrition, Fitness & Wellness
a. A multi-faceted team of strength and conditioning specialists, sports certified dietitians and licensed massage therapists bring a scientifically backed holistic approach to training for today’s athletes. b. http://www.bonsecoursinmotion.com/
We welcome anyone with questions to call our In Motion at Town Center clinic at (757) 463-2540.
Carl is a certified personal trainer (NASM), performance enhancement coach, and track & field coach. He graduated from the University of Lynchburg with a degree in Sport Management. After graduating from Lynchburg, he went on to get his Masters in Sport Management with a specialization in Athlete Development from the University of Florida. Prior to coming to the Hampton Roads area, he spent 4 years at New Covenant Schools (Lynchburg, Va) as their Asst. Athletic Director, Sport Performance Coach, Head Track & Field Coach, and Head Boys Lacrosse Coach. Since moving to the Hampton Roads area last year, Carl has been training high school and collegiate soccer players. Carl is happily married to his wife Kelley who is a Doctor of Physical Therapy in the area.
For more information on the Strength & Conditioning program, please contact Coach Carl Stamey at email@example.com