Service Program Overview
En Christe is the CHS service-learning program, coordinated through and vitally linked to our Theology curriculum. Answering the call of Christ in Matthew 25, students engage directly with the disenfranchised, and through a reflection project connect their service experiences with the content of their Theology courses.
- 20 hours of service for Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors, 10 hours for Freshmen
- Must be from our list of approved organizations or another pre-approved organization
- Must fulfill one or more of the Corporal Works of Mercy:
- Feed the hungry
- Give drink to the thirsty
- Clothe the naked
- Shelter the homeless
- Visit the sick
- Visit the imprisoned
- Bury the dead
- Must be completed by due date of project
- Must be completed at a maximum of two organizations per year.
- Verified hours through Mobile Serve, our service learning app.
- Must be completed and submitted by date of project submission.
- Reflection Project, with topic as assigned by the grade-level Theology teacher, relating to the curriculum. The project will be graded “pass/fail” and must be completed in order to receive credit for Theology class.
Failure to complete an En Christe project by June 1 will result in an “Incomplete” for the 4th quarter and the semester course. According to school policy, failure to resolve the “Incomplete” by June 30 will result in a grade of “F” for the 4th quarter. The student must then complete the 20 hours along with the required project, and the fourth quarter grade will remain “F.” Completion of the En Christe project by August 11 is required for a student’s return to Catholic High School.
Any direct service to the communities mentioned in the Corporal Works of Mercy will count for En Christe hours. Though there are many, many, many more organizations in the Hampton Roads area (and beyond!) that serve these communities, and service through those organizations would be a wonderful way to complete your En Christe ministry, these are some organizations with which students have completed hours in fulfillment of En Christe in the past…(and this list is growing! Please email me with any other organizations you would like to see here!)
- The Romero Center
- Bettie F. Williams Elementary School (tutoring)
- Horizons Hampton Roads
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help and other local nursing care facilities
- Marian Manor
- Special Olympics
- Edmarc Hospice for Children
- The Chosen Ministry (@Holy Family Catholic Church)
- The Haiti Trip
- Hospitals (CHKD, DePaul Hospital, Sentara Leigh Hospital, etc)
- Judeo-Christian Outreach Center
- Soup Kitchens (i.e. @ the Basilica of St. Mary in Norfolk)
- Migrant Ministry
- F.A.C.T (Families of Autistic Children Tidewater)
- House of Blessing (@Harvest Assembly of God)
- Community Dinner (@Oak Grove United Methodist Church)
- Connect with a Wish
- Untamed Spirit (therapeutic riding)
- The Ability Center
- PIN Ministries (People In Need)
- Atria Senior Living
- Sentara Nursing and Rehabilitation Center